At some point our pets may experience many of the conditions that affect us humans: cancer, epilepsy, anxiety, chronic pain, and arthritis. Many health advocates are paying attention to Rick Simpson Oil(RSO) as a potential treatment option that can provide much needed relief. Andrew Murphy, DVM from The Rick Simpson Oil Foundation, says that “although RSO has been publicized in recent years for its anti-cancer properties in human studies, we’re starting to find that the same benefit may apply to pets as well. The company has noticed an increase in consumers who are requesting therapeutic products for their pets as well. Dr. Murphy says that “there isn’t a day where someone asks which products can be used for pets. “
- Anti-Cancer Effects: Some anecdotal reports suggest that RSO might have direct anti-tumor effects. While most of these claims are based on individual testimonies rather than large-scale, peer-reviewed studies, there is some preliminary research suggesting that cannabinoids like THC and CBD can inhibit tumor growth in certain cancer cell lines.
- Cancer-Related Symptoms: Even if RSO doesn’t directly combat the cancer itself, it might help alleviate some symptoms associated with the disease or its treatments. For instance, a 2018 study published in the “Journal of the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association” found that CBD oil improved the quality of life in dogs with cancer by managing pain and other related symptoms.
- Stimulation of Appetite: Cancer and its treatments can lead to a loss of appetite in pets. The THC in Rick Simpson Oil is known to stimulate appetite, which can be beneficial for pets undergoing chemotherapy or other treatments that reduce hunger.
- Pain Management: Many cancers can cause pain, either directly or due to their growth affecting other tissues and organs. The combination of THC and CBD in RSO could work synergistically to provide pain relief. This potential was supported by a 2018 study in “Frontiers in Veterinary Science” that indicated CBD oil could increase comfort in dogs with conditions causing chronic pain, such as osteoarthritis.
- Anti-Nausea Effects: THC has antiemetic properties, which can help reduce nausea and vomiting, side effects that are often associated with chemotherapy.
- Anxiety Reduction: Cancer and its treatments can be stressful for pets, leading to increased anxiety. Both THC and CBD have potential anxiolytic properties, which might help in reducing anxiety in pets with cancer.
- Anti-inflammatory: CBD has anti-inflammatory properties which can be beneficial for conditions like inflammatory bowel disease, arthritis, and more. By reducing inflammation, it can help to alleviate the associated symptoms.
- Anticonvulsant: CBD has shown promise in controlling seizures. There are anecdotal reports of pets experiencing fewer seizures when administered CBD, though more rigorous scientific studies are needed to confirm these observations.
- Promotion of Homeostasis: Many holistic veterinarians believe that small doses of CBD can promote health and well-being by maintaining a balance in the body’s systems.